Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What's For Dinner (And In The Freezer)? Meatloaf

When I went back to work a couple of weeks ago, I knew my time to prepare dinner each night would be limited, so I went in search of recipes that were easily doubled so that I could put one in the freezer.  I decided to start with a meatloaf.  This is a very simple recipe, but it turned out to be delicious.

Meatloaf
2 pounds ground beef (I used venison)
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs (made from dried bread slices)
3/4 cup salsa (I used home-canned),
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's seasoning

Mix all items together until well combined.  Divide into two servings and freeze.  When ready to cook, thaw meatloaf in the refrigerator and cook at 400 degrees for approx. 45 minutes.  If you don't have time to thaw, add approx 15 to 20 minutes to the cooking time.  I added about 1 cup shredded cheese over the top of the meatloaf and put it back in the oven until melted and bubbly.  It was delicious! 

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of this, but will try to get one when I cook the one out of the freezer and add it at that time.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, it's OK about the photo! I remember making about 20 med-sized meatloaves before we had twins. We had a two year old at the time, and I had just had a slew of surgeries to find out the problems we had with infertility. So, I had a friend come over, and we cooked casseroles and the like for 2 days! It was a blast! We cooked healthy and hearty. The meatloaves were probably our favorite. Then the turkey noodle tetrazini LOL

    Thank you for your wonderful recipe, and for sharing it with everyone!

    ReplyDelete