Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Alfredo Sauce With Crispy Italian Chicken and Homemade Dinner Rolls


I made Alfredo Sauce to go with Italian Chicken and Fettucini Noodles tonight.    I modified a Cooks.com recipe.  Here is what I did:

Alfredo Sauce

3 1/4 cups milk (made from long-term storage powdered milk)
1 tsp garlic powder (I probably would reduce this to 1/2 tsp next time)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
6 triangles of Laughing Cow cheese (approx 4 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup all purpose flour

Mix all ingredients and then warm over a low heat until thickened.

This was delicious and made quite a bit of sauce.  I had enough left over to put into a jar and store it in the refrigerator.  It probably wasn't the most frugal recipe because of the Laughing Cow cheese.  It could probably be made cheaper with a store brand cream cheese, but Laughing Cow was what I had.




Crispy Italian Chicken (adapted from Wonder Woman I'm Not who obtained it from Anthem Heart Smart Recipes book)

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbs Parmesean cheese
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 chicken tenders (there was enough mix to do twice this much)
1/2 cup milk

Mix all dry ingredients together.  Dip chicken in milk and then toss in dry ingredients.  Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees until browned.



Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls (adapted from Simple Daily Recipes.com)

1 1/3 cup warm milk (I used reconstituted powdered milk)
1 Tbsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
4 Tbsp oil
3 cups whole wheat flour (ground from my wheat)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter

Mix milk, sugar and yeast and allow yeast to activate.  Add oil, flour and salt.  Mix well, cover and allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.  After 1 hour, break off pieces of dough and roll into balls.  Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. (If I have time, I always allow them to rise for another 30 minutes here, but it is not required). Melt butter and brush butter over each roll.  Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes until browned.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think the Alfredo sauce would work well using freeze dried mozzarella & Monterey Jack cheese? I just might have to try it.....

    ReplyDelete