Monday, October 24, 2011

Home Canned Pasta Sauce Secret

I mentioned earlier that I used my home canned spaghetti sauce for the marinara dipping sauce for the pizza and bread sticks. To do this, I just added some sugar to the sauce.  I added about 1 tablespoon to a cup of sauce, but you can adjust to your liking.  The current batches of spaghetti sauce that I am using were made with Mrs. Wages Pasta Sauce mix and number 10 cans of crushed tomatoes from Costco.  I have made my own sauce before, but I found these Pasta Sauce mixes on sale last year and stocked up.  If you were to pay full price for the mix (approx. $2.5 per package) and number 10 can (approx. $3 each), you could can you own sauce for approx. $1.70 per quart.  I haven't purchased spaghetti sauce in the store lately, but based on what I have seen, that does still compare favorably to the cost of those cans or jars of sauce.  This is a very versatile sauce.  I use it for pasta sauce, pizza sauce (with 1 small can of tomato paste added per quart), and marinara sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment