Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What's for Dinner? Beef and Black Bean Burritos

I had cooked some dry black beans a couple days ago and I needed to use up the last few cups, so I decided to make beef and black bean burritos for dinner last night.  Here is the recipe:


Beef and Black Bean Burritos

1 lb ground meat (I used ground venison)
1 jar salsa (I used a pint jar of home canned salsa)
3/4 cup water (I primarily did it to get all the extra out of the salsa jar, but it made a nice sauce)
approx. 2 1/2 cups of black beans, rinsed
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
10 flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups cooked rice (I cooked 1 cup dry brown rice and had a small bowl left over.)
2 1/2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)

Brown ground meat and drain excess fat if necessary.  Add drained black beans, salsa and water.  Add chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder.  Simmer until thickened slightly.  To make burritos, I put 1/4 cup rice, 1/4 cup meat and bean mixture, and 1/4 cup mixed cheese in each tortilla.  I made 10 burritos and have enough meat mixture left to freeze. (It will probably be added to a "Taco Junk" stew.)

Here is what the beef and bean mixture looked like:

No comments:

Post a Comment