Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

I mentioned earlier that I use my Excalibur dehydrator to make homemade yogurt.  I found the video with instructions at the Excalibur video page.  I made some yesterday using milk reconstituted from powdered milk out of my long-term food storage.  It was very simple.  I used 4 cups of reconsituted milk, and added 1/2 cup additional milk powder.  I heated it in the microwave for approx. 6 minutes and then allowed it to cool to 120 degrees.  I then added 1 heaping tablespoon of store-bought yogurt as my starter.  I mixed it all well and put it into two clean pint mason jars.  I put it in the dehydrator at 115 degrees and left it in there overnight.  It was done this morning when I got up.  I will now use this as my starter for the next batch.  I also will freeze some of the yogurt in ice-cube trays to use as future starter.

Here is a picture of my finished yogurt:

No comments:

Post a Comment