Saturday, October 1, 2011

What's for Dinner? What Cha Got Jambalaya

We spent seven years in Baton Rouge many years ago and today, my husband said, "I have been wanting some Jambalaya."  So, I decided to give it a try with what we had in the freezer.




What Cha Got Jambalaya

1 1/2lb chicken
1 lb sausage
1 1/2lb venison back strap (you could use any stew meat)
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbs Tony Chacheres
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
4 Tbs oil
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
5 cups water
7 cups broth
3 cups rice
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

I started by boiling the venison and chicken, which were both frozen, until fork tender.  I then put the oil in the bottom of a large cast iron dutch oven and sauteed the sausage.  Once the sausage was browned, I added the chicken and venison to the cast iron pot and then added the cooking broth, water, and spices.  I heated the mixture to boiling and then reduced heat, added the rice and covered until the rice was done.  It turned out very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment