Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tomato Gravy

On Saturday morning, my husband took our son squirrel hunting for the first time.  While they were gone, I decided to fix them a good breakfast.  My husband has always loved tomato gravy (which is odd since he doesn't like tomatoes), so I decided to make some for him.  I had never made it, but started with a basic gravy and went from there.  Here is the recipe I used:



Tomato Gravy

1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 1/3 cup milk (make from reconstituted dry milk powder)
1 quart home-canned tomatoes, drained
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in skillet and add the flour a little bit at a time, stirring while adding.  Once flour and oil mixture is browned, add milk, stirring constantly.  Finally, add tomatoes and cook until thickened.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

It was delicious!  I will share the biscuit recipe I used tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment