Saturday, October 15, 2011

Using Home Dehydrated Foods

I have said before that I love my Excalibur dehydrator.  I have, over the years, dehydrated so many things using it.  I have used two of those items in meals today.  This morning, I used dehydrated shredded potatoes to make hash browns for breakfast.


Tonight, I am using some dehydrated collards to go with our dinner meal.  The collards were purchased frozen on sale.  I dehydrated them and sealed them in jars to keep from using precious freezer space. 
I will go into more detail on dehydrating specific items in later posts, but wanted to give you a snippet of information on using dehydrated items.  If you are interested in specific items, how to dehydrate them, and how to use them once dehydrated, please let me know and I will incorporate them into future posts.

Buying items on sale and dehydrating them is a great money-saver.  Not only does it help you lock in your food costs at a low purchase price, it doesn't take up precious freezer space and there is no risk of losing everything in case of a power outage.  As I have said before, you don't have to start out with a top of the line dehydrator.  Be on the look out for one at a thrift store or garage sale.  I have often seen them for $5 or less.  If you don't find one, remember that Christmas is coming and it is OK to ask for "out of the normal" gifts!

Come see us for more helpful homemaking tips at She Makes Mondays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment