Monday, October 17, 2011

What's for Dinner? Beef and Broccoli with Brown Rice

Last night, I made another dish with something that I had previously dehydrated.  I had purchased several bags of broccoli on sale and dehydrated them last year.  Yesterday, I had half of a London Broil in the refrigerator left over from Saturday night's dinner.  So, I made a Beef with Broccoli dinner and served it over brown rice.  Here is the recipe I used for the sauce:

4 Tbs cornstarch
8 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder

I sliced the remaining London Broil into small pieces, rehydrated about 2 cups of broccoli in 2 cups of boiling water, and sliced up 3 baby carrots using a peeler.  I put about 2 Tbsp oil in the bottom of my skillet and got it hot and put the London Broil pieces in there for just a few minutes to crisp up.  I drained the excess oil and then drained the broccoli and added it and the carrots to the skillet.  I poured the sauce over everything in the skillet and then added about 2 cups of water and cooked it over medium heat until the sauce thickened slightly. 


It turned out very good and was an excellent way to use up left-overs.  One of the best ways to reduce your food budget is to reduce the waste in your food budget.  If you buy something, use it all.  Many times we make something, eat only half and then the remainder gets thrown away after sitting in the refrigerator for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment